Crissi Williams is Senior Commercial Manager at the ITP and manages the organisation’s apprenticeship scheme. She tells us what it involves…
- How does the ITP apprenticeship scheme work?
The ITP Apprenticeship Scheme is an 18-month course. Apprentices attend college for a total of eight weeks and learn the rest whilst they are at work earning a living. An apprenticeship gives young people the opportunity to see what it is really like to work in their chosen industry and once they have completed they also have experience – you don’t get that if you go to University!
- What do you look for when recruiting apprentices?
We are not looking for any experience in particular. We are looking for someone who wants to work in the telecoms industry, demonstrates a knowledge of what it takes and has a sparkle!
- Does the employer get involved in the recruitment process?
Absolutely! We believe it is imperative that we work with the employer throughout. The employer provides us with a job description and the ITP will carry out initial screening. Then we invite the candidates along to an assessment day at the client’s premises where we get to know them through a series of tasks. We find assessment days a far better way of recruiting apprentices as you get to see how they react in different situations.
- How do you support apprentices once they are in post?
We are always on hand to support our apprentices. We will assist them with any college or work aspect that they ask for help in. We set up this scheme to give young people more chance – we want them to succeed!
- Why should businesses consider apprentices?
Without new talent, the telecoms industry will struggle – and apprentices are the best solution to that problem. We aren’t the only people that think that – a recent survey of 500 firms showed that:
- 77% of employers believe apprenticeships make them more competitive
- 76% of those employers who employ apprentices agree they make the workplace more productive
- 81% of consumers favour using a company which takes on apprentices.
- How will the new apprenticeship levy affect the telecoms industry?
The new levy will not just affect the telecoms industry, it will affect every industry. I hope that this will only encourage more employers to give young people a chance!
The ITP apprenticeship scheme is unique and has created more than 50 roles in the telecoms industry since its launch in 2013. Get involved.