With the cost of university increasing year on year, more and more young people are choosing apprenticeships rather than going to university.
Apprenticeships are a great way to learn a trade – but is an apprenticeship for you?
Here are five good reasons why they are:
1. The chance to shine. When you start an apprenticeship, you will learn your trade from a master. You will work with someone who’s an expert and will help you learn how to be an expert too.
ITP apprentice Aneel says: “As an apprentice it’s great that you can gain valuable knowledge from experienced seniors. It’s also a great chance to earn as you learn, which is a real advantage. I decided to take the apprenticeship with Green Telecom because I really enjoyed the support I already had received from the ITP, helping me prepare for the Assessment Day. I also enjoyed the session during the day with Steve Hayden, MD of Green Telecom. I felt he was really down to earth and I could see myself working with him.”
2. A skill you can use. Jobs that start with an apprenticeship are highly skilled, and they are in high demand. After all, not everyone can be an engineer! It takes specialised training, which you’ll gain through your apprenticeship. Once you’ve completed the apprenticeship, you’ll have credentials that will be valued anywhere you go.
Sara Maitland says “I decided to apply for the apprenticeship because it is technical, and offers exactly the kind of role I am looking for. I know it will challenge me; I won’t get bored. Telecoms is not only interesting but gives me excellent career prospects. It’s important to me that I find my job stimulating, and this one really is. By the end of my apprenticeship I will not only have a relevant qualification, but some real experience in the field.”
3. Earn while you learn. People don’t usually get paid to learn something new! But as an apprentice, you’ll learn a new skill and get paid whilst you do it.
4. Great opportunities. 83% of apprentices have said that their career prospects have improved due to completing their apprenticeship.
5. A secure future. With an apprenticeship, you’ll have the chance to gain the skills and technical know-how to become one of the best in your field. Achieving such a high level of skill will lead to a higher salary and greater job opportunities.
Apprenticeships are a great way to start in the telecoms industry. It won’t be easy – you will have to work hard, but the rewards are huge!
The ITP is regularly recruiting for apprentices in the telecoms industry, check out the latest vacancies.